Director, Health and Bio-Medical Sciences
Dr. M.T. Gwaza
Dr. Manasseh Gwaza is the current Director, Department of Health, Biomedical Sciences in the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology. He holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Sciences from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1981. He also holds a Masters Degree in Management (Health Systems Management) and a Doctorate Degree in Health Care Management (a critical area of Public Health).
Dr. Gwaza began his professional work as a Health Professional at the Benue State Hospitals Management Board, Makurdi, in 1981 before proceeding to the University of Jos, in 1990 as a Lecturer. He left the services of the University of Jos, in 1994 to take up an appointment as the Executive Director, Metropole Projects Consortium (Health Projects Consultants), Jos.
Dr. Gwaza later joined the services of the Federal Civil Service in 2001, as an Assistant Director in the defunct Health Sciences Department of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Abuja. Approval was granted for Dr. Gwaza to oversee the defunct Health Sciences Department from 2005 to 2007; and then promoted to the rank of Deputy Director in 2008. In 2011, he obtained approval to oversee the Department of Physical and Life Sciences; and he rose to the post of a Substantive Director on 1st January, 2012.
The duties of the Director of the Department of Health, Biomedical Sciences and Environmental Technology, include amongst others: mentoring and development of sub-ordinates Officers; policy formulation, analysis, review, implementation and coordination of the Health, Science, Technology and Innovation (H, S, T & I) activities, projects, programmes and research and development (R&D) initiatives. Other Roles and Responsibilities of the Director are monitoring, Coordination and Supervision of the Agencies under the purview of the Ministry, vis-a-viz: National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA), Abuja; National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA), Abuja; Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO), Abuja; Nigeria Natural Medicine Development Agency (NNMDA), Lagos and the National Institute for Trypanosomiasis and Onchocerciasis Research (NITR), Kaduna.
At several times, Dr Manasseh Gwaza had served as the Representative of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology on the following Boards/Committees:
- Member, National Technical Committee (NTC), National Variome Project (United Nations Education Scientific & Cultural Organization -UNESCO Assisted) 2013-date.
- Member, National Stakeholders’ Committee (NSC) of National Accreditation Body being coordinated by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), 2013- Date.
- Member, Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of the African-South Korea Collaboration on Technology Transfer for Research, Development and for Institutional Strengthening focusing on the Neglected Tropical and Endemic Disease, 2013.
- Member, National Technical Committee (NTC) on African Human Health and Hereditary (H3Africa) Project (Pan African Bioinformatics Network) with National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA), Abuja, designated as the Country Specific Node and Focal Agency for UNESCO Bioethics Programmme, 2013-date.
- Member, Visit of the Delegation from the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) to India for Dialogue on Transfer of Biotechnology and Nanotechnology to Nigeria, 2012.
- Leader, Exhibitions Assessment Sub-Committee of the National Innovators and Inventors Workshop organized by Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST), 2012.
- Member, Amadu Ali Centre for Public Health and Comparative Medicine, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, 2012 to date.
- Member, Inter-Ministerial Monitoring and Evaluation M &E) of Diagnostic Kits for HIV, Malaria and Hepatitis B & C, 2007 to 2011.
- Leader, Pharmaceutical Facilities Assessment Team for the North-West Zone of Nigeria, 2010 organized by Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), 2010.
- Member, Governing Board of the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Abuja, 2008 to 2010; and 2013 –Date.
- Member, Governing Board, Nigerian Institute for Trypanosomiasis and Ochocerciasis Research (NITR), Kaduna, 2005-2010.
- Member, Presidential Committee on Local Production of Artemisinin Combinations Therapy (ACTs) and Antiretroviral (ARV) Drugs, 2005 to 2009.
- Member, Governing Board, Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO), Abuja, 2008.
- Deputy-Leader of the Team that developed the Activities, Programmes and Projects of Physical and Life Sciences (PLS)Department, including the Roles and Responsibilities of the Staff, 2007.
- Member, Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for improving HIV/AIDS Drugs in ECOWAS Member States in collaboration with West African Health Organisation (WAHO), 2003 – 2006.
- Member, Presidential Committee on the Pharmaceutical Sector, 2003-2005.
- Member, Inter-Ministerial Committee on Impact of Mt. Cameroon /Lake Nyos, 2001 – 2005.
- Member, Inter-Ministerial Committee on In-Vitro Fertilization Research, 2001 – 2005
- Leader, Manpower Audit Committee of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) and its Parastatals, 2005.
- Member, Reproductive Health Stakeholders’ Forum for Development of Plan for Health Sector Response to HIV/AIDS, 2004.
- Member, National Committee to draft Nigeria’s National Health Research Policy, 2001-2003.
- Member, Dental Technologists Registration Board of Nigeria (DTRBN), 2005-2008.
- Leader, Implementation Team of the National Science and Technology Museum (NSTM) for showcasing innovations and inventions (I&I) in Science, Technology, Engineering (SET), 2011-date.
- Member, Technical Sub-Committee of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Lead Poisoning at Zamfara State, 2012-date.
Dr. Gwaza had served as the Project Manager (PM), HIV/AIDS World Bank-Assisted Project in FMST from 2005 to 2010, where he championed significant and meaningful contributions to the National Response in the control and prevention of the scourge. The innovative interventions included designing, production and circulation of the following vital documents:
- HIV/AIDS Work Place Policy and Information Education and Communication (IEC), Materials, Brochures, Leaflets and Posters for use by the Ministry’s staff, family members, clients; and
- Facilitator’s Manual for the Training/Education of the Traditional Medicine Practitioners (TMPs) on the Control and Prevention of HIV/AIDS.
Dr. Gwaza also served as a Resource Person for the 2011 and 2013 Promotion Examinations of the Directorate Cadre Staff conducted by the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC). He has attended well over 50 Conferences, Workshops and Seminars, locally and internationally, amongst which include the following:
- Performance Mgt /e-Governance Course by London Management School, 31st, July-3rd, 2012;
- Stress & Time Management Training Course by JAMREB Nig. Ltd, 18th -22th, October, 2010;
- International Conferences on D-8 Care, Support and Treatment of HIV/AIDS in the Developing Eight (D-8 ) Countries, Bogor, Indonesia, 6th -11th , July, 2008;
- Workshop on Strengthening Primary Health Care in Nigeria organised by the Nigerian Academy of Science and U. S. National Academies, Abuja, Nigeria, 21st -22nd, May , 2008;
- UNDP Training on Monitoring & Evaluation of Projects/Programmes, Jos, 4th – 9th Dec. 2007;
- World Bank Trainings in Procurement Proceeding, Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Abuja, Nigeria, 2005 – 2007;
- Ministerial Retreat on Science and Technology Strategic Planning and Implementation Strategies, Warri, Nigeria, 28th Nov. – 1st Dec. 2007;
- International Conference on Pan African Tsetse and Trypanosomiasis Eradication Control Programme (PATTEC) Plan of Action, Luanda, Angola, 1st-6th, Oct. 2007;
- Seminar on Operational Strategy and Benefits of the National Health Insurance Scheme to the Employees and Employers in Public and Private Sectors, Abuja,16th -29th, Feb., 2006; and
- Packard Foundation Sponsored Training Programme on Reproductive Health and Population Activities, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 27th Nov. – 9th Dec. 2000.
He brought unrivaled Leadership, Managerial and Supervisory (LMS) competences garnered over the years to illicit quartile quality service delivery, thus facilitate implementation of multi-sectoral and cross cutting activities resulting to multiple potential beneficial impacts on Nigerians and the international community. In 2005, he was given a Letter of Commendation by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology for the Successful Accomplishment of Activities, Projects and Programmes in the Ministry and its Agencies.
Dr. Manasseh Gwaza hails from Vandeikya Local Government Area of Benue State; and he is happily married and blessed with five children.