Internal Audit Department
The formal instrument for the establishment of Internal Audit Departments\units in MDAs is the Financial Regulations.
According to the instrument, an Internal Audit is established to provide a comprehensive and continuous audit of the accounts and records of revenue and expenditure, plants, allocated and unallocated stores of government in such a way as to ensure compliance with extant rules and regulations so as to add value to the ministry’s operations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Checks the compliance with laws, instructions and directives.
- Checks the adequacy/controls of financial and accounting system put in place by management.
- Checks economy, efficiency and effectiveness of disbursement of resources.
- Checks the level of achievement of set objectives.
- Checks the total operations of government to enhance accountability/transparency.
- Ensure proper recording/accounting of revenues.
- Issues and submits comprehensive, meaningful and timely monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual audit reports.