The Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, established to centrally coordinate Research and Development (R&D) activities in Nigeria has the following broad mandates:
- Formulation, monitoring and review of the National Policy on Science, Technology and Innovation to attain the macro-economic and social objectives of Vision 20:2020 as it relates to science and technology.
- Acquisition and Application of Science, Technology and Innovation contribution to increase agricultural and livestock production.
- Increasing energy reliance through sustainable Research and Development (R&D) in nuclear, renewable and alternative energy sources for peaceful and development purposes.
- Promotion of wealth creation through support to key industrial and manufacturing sectors.
- Creation of Technology infrastructure and knowledge base to facilitate its wide application for development
- Application of natural medicine resources and technologies for health sector development.
- Acquisition and application of Space Science and Technology as a key driver for economic development; and
- Ensuring the impact of R&D results in the Nigerian economy through the promotion of indigenous research capacity to facilitate technology transfer.