Health and Bio-Medical Sciences
Roles and Responsibilities
- Initiate, develop and review Policies on health and biomedical technologies;
- Promoting inventions and innovations in health, biomedical technologies that address local needs and contributes to national development;
- Collaborations and partnerships with local and international Agencies/Bodies in the promotion of Nutrition, food safety and food security matters;
- Liaise and partner with national, regional and international groups/bodies on human capacity building and institutional capacity strengthening in health and biomedical technologies to build a critical mass of professionals;
- Promote, facilitate, execute, coordinate, monitor and evaluate activities, projects and programmes for the appropriate deployment of health and biomedical technologies in the country;
- Collaborate with private sector on the domestication of indigenous health and biomedical technologies in the country;
- Collaborate with Public and Private Tertiary and Research Institutions on the development, training and utilization of indigenous health and biomedical technologies;
- Promote, facilitate, coordinate, monitor and evaluate national Research and Development (R&D) activities in Public and Private Tertiary and Research Institutions under the supervision of FMST in health and biomedical technologies; and;
- Involvement in the supervision of Science, Technology and Innovation Programmes in FMST Agencies/Parastatals.
Agencies under the Supervision of the HBS Department
- Nigerian Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research (NITR), Kaduna;
- Nigerian Natural Medicine Development Agency (NNMDA), Lagos;and
- Federal Institute of Industrial Research Oshodi (FIIRO), Lagos.
- Deployment of Innovative Technologies to Enhance Food Security in Nigeria;
- Deployment of Natural Medicine Technologies to Enhance Healthcare, Nutrition and National Development in Nigeria; and
- Promoting the Safety of Foods in Nigeria through the Determination of Possible Presence of Pesticides in Foodstuffs.